Wednesday, February 23, 2011

Addenda

To yesterday’s post on highly motivated Chinese youth:

  1. One of my students posted this on her facebook wall before school resumed last week:

    God please please don’t let school start… I want to have another day for learning inorganic chemistry…

    It starts out so normal and American, and then, shortly after the first ellipsis, things take a turn somehow.

  2. I was at the cell phone shop adding minutes the other day, and the lady behind the counter started asking me about my life. When she heard that I was a teacher, she reached out as though she was going to shake my hand but instead just ended up resting hers on top of mine, and said, “ah, the Promise of Youth!”. The she patted the top of my hand, smiled, and let me go.

    It was a very inspiring trip to the cell phone store.