Wednesday, January 12, 2011

Democracy in America

This afternoon a student asked me after class, “Jon, how do you know the American system of democracy won’t suddenly turn to chaos?”

And I turned to him, put my hand on his shoulder, and said, “Johnson, as long as we believe in the power of the ballot box, the power of argument, the power of reason, and the power of the people, America will persevere. As long as I have the ability to vote, for whatever party I choose, we, as a nation, are still ok.”

And then, this evening I checked my mail and my heart swelled with pride to see a working example of the democratic spirit in action: waiting for me was an absentee ballot, a palpable symbol of my involvement in that greatest of American institutions.

Of course, it was the second absentee ballot I received for the November election which, to recap, happened three months ago. CHAOS SCHMAOS.