Monday, December 6, 2010

What I Talk About When I Talk About Running

Second time in recent memory that I’ve used a Raymond Carver reference as a post title, plus this one gets double points for Murakami. Should I be lucky enough to win the Blog Douchebag Awards, presented every March by a committee chaired by John Gruber and the entire staff of boingboing.net, I would donate the prize money to Tumblr, home for a whole new generation of Blog Douchebags, Assholes, and the like.

I think I have a pretty good chance of winning, because even the blog posts which appear to contain no references to Raymond Carver or Haruki Murakami are, in fact, chock-a-block with allusions to Thomas Pynchon, The Recognitions, David Foster Wallace’s unpublished correspondence with Don DeLillo, and seasons 1-4 of Barney Miller, before Detective Fish retired.

Below is an email I received today from a student:

Hi Jon!

I saw your photo in the internet - a running Jon!
You looked really funny~

And here is the photo that was attached.

Me,
running

So, when we talk about my running in a teacher’s sports meet, this is what we’re talking about.