Wednesday, September 15, 2010

Asian Gamers

Starting on November 12, 2010, Guangzhou will be hosting the 16th Asian Games.

You are forgiven for having no idea that this event will be taking place. I imagine if you don’t live in Guangzhou, China it’s not really on your radar. I imagine you haven’t been thinking about it much on a day to day basis. And now that you know about it my sense is that you’re probably not all that excited about these upcoming 16th Asian Games.

WELL THAT’S WHERE YOU’RE WRONG BECAUSE THE 16TH ASIAN GAMES IS GOING TO BE ONE HELL OF A GOOD TIME.

Why? Well, off the top: according to Wikipedia, the official name of the 16th Asian Games is the XVI Asiad. There is a squiggly red line underneath Asiad in my text editor because Asiad is a made up word. It’s a fake word and a Roman numeral and in this sense XVI Asiad is like the Balto films (Balto, Balto II: Wolf Quest, Balto III: Wings of Change), which are uplifting movies about a dog, and a wolf, and some other animal with wings I guess. So if you liked Balto III: Wings of Change, you will probably like Asiad XVI: Guangzhou, China. (And, according to Amazon.com, Lady & the Tramp II: Scamp’s Adventure.)

Another reason to be excited: my Cantonese tutor Serena is going to be a volunteer at the XVI Asiad. She has a job as a scorer.

For bowling.

Asian
bowling

From a Google image search for “asian bowling”.

So Serena, my Serena, is going to be a scorer for bowling event at the XVI Asiad. Will she be judging toe faults? Nope, there’s a referee for that. Will she herself be counting the pins? No, because pin counting is done by machine. Will she be writing these counts down on some official notepad or scorecard of some kind? By god you can bet she’ll be writing her little Cantonese heart out.

The real exciting part (I know: there’s more excitement??) is that even though tickets are extremely limited to the bowling competition (because for some reason it’s not being held in a venue that can accommodate thousands of bowling fans), Serena’s going to do her best to get tickets for us.

I am thrilled. Andy and I were already planning on getting tickets to an event that no one else cared about. I would have watched anything (including Go, official sport at the XVI Asiad), but bowling is really beyond my wildest dreams in this department.

Asian
bowling

ASIAN BOWLING

I mean I guess I don’t have a ton to be excited about it my daily life but surely by any objective measure the 2010 Asian Bowling Championship at the XVI Asiad must be one of the best things ever.