Friday, May 7, 2010

Funny Because It’s True

Remember when I joked about showing a Brakhage movie in my film seminar? Turns out that’s pretty much real life: tomorrow, my students and I will be watching the 1943 experimental film “Meshes of the Afternoon”. (There’s a copy online if you want to watch it yourself.) In my defense: it’s Maya Deren’s first film, and it’s possibly the most famous and influential experimental American films of all time. In my prosecution: “Meshes” is one of David Lynch’s big cinematic influences, and we all know that my students’ previous encounters with Lynch have not gone well.

If you haven’t seen it, I’ll just tell you that Wikipedia says it has a “dreamlike (or nightmarish) atmosphere.” See how they hid the much more terrifying option in a parenthetical so that you can sort of ignore it and pretend it doesn’t exist? Here, let me try: I hope my students find the movie stimulating and challenging (rather than so psychologically damaging that they complain to the administration and get me fired).

Anyway, you know how in the movie Sphere there’s a big sphere which has the power to physically manifest your thoughts and subconscious desires? I think my blog is like that. Things I write here come true. This means that my body will end up looking like the bodybuilder picture frame that Gristle got me for my birthday, but it also means that, you know that thing I wrote a few minutes ago about my getting fired? Yeah, that’ll happen too.

I guess I should’ve written something at the top of this post about how you shouldn’t read any further if you’ve spent the last 12 years trying to avoid spoilers for the Dustin Hoffman sci-fi thriller Sphere. Sorry. And if that sentence describes you, I suggest you take a long hard look at your life and your choices.