Wednesday, December 23, 2009

Chinese Songs for Singing

What's this? A box?

But what's inside? Off the top of my head, probably cookies in the shape of the letters of my name.


Also, a gingerbread man. A Christmas gift from two of my students! Thanks, guys.

If you think my students love me now, just wait until I participate the following contest which I was invited to today via email:
GZTV I-Channel is holding a new event: “Music without Boundaries 2010”--The Second Guangzhou Amateur Foreign Songs Competition, which Chinese people are required to sing in foreign languages and Foreigners are required to sing in Chinese!

As long as you love music and love to sing in Chinese, you are welcome to join! You can also invite your friends to join! Attached are more details about this singing competition. You may also log on http://english.gztv.com for the latest.

Merry Christmas and best wishes for the New Year!

My qualifications for this contest are that I am an amateur and that I am foreign, but apparently that's all you need. (Though the application does also ask me to list my "hobbies", of which I have none, thanks for asking.) I already have my song picked out. I've been a fan of it for a while, but my fervor intensified after coming here and hearing it approximately once a week in restaurants around the city:



Sorry for the youtube link; I couldn't find it on Hype Machine.

The email also included a promotional poster.



My b, that's the logo of Andrew Lloyd Webber's hit musical "Starlight Express."



Sorry, that's the Apple logo.



And that's a clipart image of a ballerina.



Ah, there we go.