Friday, November 27, 2009

Thanksgiving

Tonight, Gus and I got together with some of our best friends in Guangzhou and had pizza and beer and thought about all the things we're thankful for.

I'm thankful for my school and my students, who are even more intelligent, receptive, and kind than I could have hoped, and I am thankful that they have welcomed me so generously into their lives.

I'm thankful for all the people that I've met so far here in Guangzhou: Fangfang the artist and her sister Rachel; former PiA-er David and his girlfriend Shaohui; the Yale-in-China fellows; Gus, my partner in crime; Gristle, sweet Gristle, endearing, infuriating, sometime penguin Gristle; and SJ, our Cantonese tutor, who called us tonight and told us that she had a gift for us, and then met us at our apartment to deliver the two turkey legs that she had somehow managed to find at a Guangzhou supermarket, and to wish us happy thanksgiving.

And I'm thankful for you, my friends and family, the people I love. If you read this blog, chances are that I think of you -- you, specifically -- every single day, because you are one of my favorite people in the world, and by now you're so much a part of me that I could no more go a day without thinking of you than go a day without thinking at all.

Thank you, everyone, and have a happy thanksgiving.

Also I'm thankful for Lady Gaga, because I have watched the Bad Romance video an obscene number of times in the past week and it never. gets. old.