Wednesday, October 21, 2009

Nipple play

One of the best things about learning a new language is discovering new words that you wish existed in English. Chinese has got a bunch of such words (remind me to tell you sometime about my love for the word 了, which you add to the end of sentences to indicate that the proposition represents a new situation), and today we're going to talk about one of my favorites: 以为. 以为 (yǐwéi) means "to think (mistakenly)", and is used when the speaker wants to describe a belief which he or she knows to be erroneous. It's a word that I sometimes reach for in English, but, alas, we don't have it.

Anyway, a few days ago I posted about our artist friend making us t-shirts in exchange for our translation services. I said:
She also asked us whether we would mind if the t-shirts were v-necks, and also whether we would mind if there were holes cut out around our nipples. I told her that would be fine.
Now, you may have thought I was joking, indeed, you may have 以为'ed that the shirt was going to be normal and not nipple-related. I got my shirt today, and I can tell you that you certainly did think (mistakenly).

It's a flesh-colored t-shirt with 6 (six) supernumerary nipples. I don't think my students are ready for this one, but I'm definitely going to wear it when I go out to the clubz.

Also, here's a picture of me and the artist tweaking my nipples.


So yeah, next time I tell you something is going to involve nipples, I'd believe me if I were you. There's nothing I take serious-er than nipples.