Saturday, October 31, 2009

Has anybody seen my tambourine?

It's already Halloween in China and this Halloween I'm dressing up as "foreign teacher who has a week off from school and so is taking a trip to Nanjing." It's a costume that will last from today until next Friday. Don't go crazy in my absence.

We have a week off because our students are going to the countryside to study agriculture and harvest rice. This is despite the fact that most of them are bound for prestigious colleges and government positions. Princeton's Fall Break was created so that students could work on political campaigns; the fall break at this school was created so that students can appreciate the fruit of the communist revolution. Welcome to my life.

I will be out of internet contact until we return on Friday, and so I won't be checking email or text messages. I am still available by phone if you need to reach me, though (and I should have clarified this last time) I can neither check my voicemail nor make outgoing calls, so you should make sure you actually speak to me if you have important information to relay.

I don't want to blow my wad right now, but I do want you to know that we are going to both the Nanking Massacre Memorial Museum and the Chinese Sex Culture Museum, which sort of runs the gamut as far as "museum funness" goes. I would call it an Emotional Roller Coaster, if this black heart of mine could feel.